Job seekers, especially Gen Zs, are now quitting their jobs to look for greener pastures. With the rising standard of living in the Philippines, Filipino job seekers can’t help but look for remote opportunities to help finance their everyday life. In fact, 2023 data from Outsource Accelerator mentioned that about 52% of Filipinos now work from home. The rising numbers highlight the inefficiency of the transportation system and the undervaluing and underpayment of Filipino workers working in local companies, compared to other countries.
In 2021, a Twitter thread started by @DearKume sparked a debate after a fresh graduate from Ateneo De Manila University allegedly declined a starting salary of P37,000 ($673). According to the author of the tweet, the interviewee expected a P60,000 ($1,091) salary due to their educational background from a prestigious university in the Philippines.
This incident opened a can of worms on the sensitive topic of salaries in the Philippines. While some employers think that this amount of compensation is fair for a neophyte, it also opens up an honest discussion on how Filipinos deserve more. Cost of Living website Numbeo reveals that the estimated monthly expense of a family of four is around $2,000 monthly, without rent, while a single person spends around $581.
Having said that, an expert mentions that the job market is evolving for the better. This article will provide tips on how Gen Z job seekers can find a job that meets their needs and expectations in terms of salary and company culture, all according to that expert. Let’s find out who it is.
Career Advice for 20-Somethings in Finding the Right Fit, According to Atty. Reyes
The alignment of the employee’s own ideals with the values of the employer is just as important as meeting the work requirements, according to Atty. Reyes. It’s crucial to take into account if the firm shares the employee’s values and objectives, and whether their abilities and talents correspond to the demands of the organization. By finding the proper match, employees may work in a supportive and caring atmosphere, allowing them to succeed and contribute to the company’s success. Organizations can likewise profit from having a diverse and engaged staff that corresponds with their values and aims.
Know and be Authentic to Yourself
As a job-hunting Gen Z, it’s important to know yourself. This means being authentic about your salary expectations, career goals, and values. For instance, do you seek a company that prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion? Do you wish to establish a work-life balance? Understanding what truly matters could help in finding jobs that share your values and aspirations.
Know Your Employer and Do Your Research
Before applying for a job or accepting an offer, research the company. What are their values and goals? Do they align with your own? Ask current employees or interviewers for more information. This will help you determine if the company is a good fit for you.
No company is perfect, so it’s important to be reasonable. Identify your non-negotiable principles, but be open to compromise. You never know, your potential employer may be willing to meet you halfway.
For the LGBTQIA+ community, research and ask about specific needs
Aside from the enumerated advice for Gen Z job seekers, there may be additional concerns to consider for LGBTQIA+ job seekers and workers, such as:
- Sex-Gender variance
- Uniform policies
- Policies on HIV Status
- Partner and Family Benefits
Finding the right job as a Gen Z can be a challenge, but by knowing yourself, researching potential employers, and being reasonable, you can increase your chances of finding the perfect fit.
What are some Gen Z career expectations?
The Handshake Blog mentioned the following as the most important factors Gen Zs look for in a job:
- Adequate pay that can finance both basic needs and some leisure activities.
- Professional and career growth.
- Healthcare, schedule flexibility, and mental health programs (such as having flexible work hours)
- A sense of community, in all forms of work settings
- Initiatives to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Company accountability, and social responsibility, among other factors.
How to Avoid Gen Zs From Quitting Their Jobs, According to Atty. Quino Reyes III
In March 2023, Atty. Quino Reyes III (“Atty. Reyes”), the Director, Legal Counsel and Corporate Secretary of the LGBT Chamber of Commerce Philippines gave a presentation at Joblu’s recent webinar. He talked about how the job market has changed from a “take it or leave it” culture to one where both employers seek to find the right fit.
Gen Zs have become a significant part of the workforce, with 2023 statistics reporting that 38% of them are now employed. To attract and retain this new group of employees, businesses are developing new incentives and programs that meet their needs. As a result, it is crucial for businesses to cultivate an inclusive and supportive work environment that respects diversity and individual differences in addition to competitive pay. Atty. Reyes highlighted the key DEI initiatives that the LGBTQIA+ community and Gen Z job seekers look for in the Philippines:
- The implementation of a non-discrimination policy. According to Atty. Reyes, it’s crucial for the younger generation to have equal opportunities, regardless of differences. Therefore, it is crucial for companies to have clear policies in place to reflect their commitment to DEI initiatives.
- Same-sex or partner family benefits. Because same-sex marriage is not legally recognized in the Philippines, it is critical for the LGBTQIA+ community to seek out firms that offer same-sex or partner family benefits. These expanded healthcare benefits for their same-sex spouses can assist bridge the gap created by the country’s legislative prohibitions. These extended healthcare benefits for their same-sex partners can help bridge the gap caused by the legal restrictions in the country.
- Mental health support. Atty. Reyes emphasized the importance of mental health support in the workplace, as younger generations may face discrimination or societal pressure that could cause mental health issues such as anxiety or depression. As such, it is essential for them to work for companies that prioritize and value their mental well-being.
- Confidentiality. Atty. Reyes also mentioned that confidentiality is particularly important for LGBTQIA’s HIV status. Maintaining confidentiality about one’s HIV status is crucial for their safety and well-being, and companies should have policies in place to ensure that this information is kept confidential and only disclosed with the individual’s consent.
- Freedom of gender expression. Atty. Reyes highlights this benefit for people to be able to express themselves according to their gender identity, and not the one assigned to them at birth. In addition, companies that embrace freedom of gender expression not only foster an inclusive environment but also attract a diverse pool of talents who feel valued and respected for who they are.
Find the “right fit” with Joblu
Joblu is a FREE platform that can help you match with companies that fit your preferences and values. With Joblu’s user-friendly interface, you can easily create your profile, search for job openings, and match with a company!
Our AI-powered filtering systems can ensure that you find the perfect culture fit. Plus, we help you get ready for the real world through mock interviews and other resources.
Download Joblu and find out why Gen Zs choose Joblu for their career goals.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gen Zs Quitting Jobs
Q: How long do Gen Zs stay at a job?
A: While it’s true that the younger generations don’t stay in a workplace for too long, it’s because they prioritize intangible aspects like workplace culture or mental health. As such, they are more likely to leave jobs that do not align with their beliefs and seek out companies that prioritize DEI initiatives.
Q: What will it take to make Gen Z happy at work?
A: A 2022 LinkedIn survey reported the following benefits as their preference:
- Mental health support
- Open communication about mental health in the office
- Social responsibility
Q: How do you motivate Gen Zs?
A: Gen Z employees need to feel inspired at work, so it’s essential to create an environment that encourages teamwork, innovation, and career advancement. More importantly, demonstrate that your organization values and respects their many perspectives and backgrounds by exhibiting a commitment to Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion (DEI) efforts.
Q: What issues do Gen Zs care about?
A: 2022 data from The United Way of National Capital Area mentioned climate change, mental well-being, race and gender equality as the top 3 issues the younger generation deeply care about.
Q: How do you attract Gen Z employees?
A: To attract Gen Z employees, offer a workplace culture that aligns with their values, such as DEI initiatives. Provide flexible work arrangements, growth opportunities, and competitive compensation. Engage with them on social media and showcase your company’s mission and values through authentic employer branding.